7.15.2006

Git-R-Done!

A good indicator of my reading life of late is the fact that I can name two characters on the infomercial for the Magic Bullet Blender. Berman is the sceptical curmudgeon with a hangover and Mimi is the female co-host of the party. She makes a milkshake with peppermint candies. Her husband, I just found out, is played by Mick Hastie, the Australian inventor with the oddly English accent. If you've ever seen Bob Odenkirk do his infomercial host shtick you know Mick. As I continue to look into the phenomenon that is the Magic Bullet infomercial, I gather that the bath-robed, chain smoking, bespectacled aunt with the over-cooked Yiddish accent is called Hazel.

I have six or seven books on my nightstand, but it's taken less effort lately to fall asleep with The Daily Show. I've never been one to sit in a chair in the daytime and read a book; since childhood, I've been a bedtime reader. Among the books awaiting me are David Mitchell's Black Swan Green, The Sea, by John Banville and a couple of non-fictions: Watermark by Joseph Brodsky and Antony Beevor's Stalingrad. All were given to me by my father.
I really am looking forward to getting back into the reading habit. I started weaning myself off the thirteen inch Daewoo in my bedroom (NLT) by reading an article in the New Yorker by Tad Friend about the people that brought us the Blue-Collar Comedy tour. I read it with the zeal and anticipation that Sean Hannity might have reading Ann Coulter. I wanted an indictment of Larry the Cable Guy and his willfully ignorant politics. Instead, I found a well written piece that touched on said fraud's phobic, populist garbage but didn't linger on it.

A new feature to this blog: The Songs I'm Listening To (mainly as a rebuke to My Good Friend Kevin, who says my life cannot be "rich" because I don't appreciate or understand music as he does).
Ted Leo and the Pharmacists The High Party
VHS or Beta Solid Gold
Ambulance LTD Michigan

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe Mick and Mimi are married IRL...I recall seeing them co-hosting an infomercial almost 10 years ago for a propane grill called the "Red Devil Grill".

12:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info, Anon. I thought I might have read something to that effect. I like the sound of the "Red Devil Grill."

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
Web Rommel's Asparagus
More blogs about rommel's asparagus.